Monday, August 6, 2018

Introducing A Book Club For All Seasons

When I decided to get more serious about book blogging, I always planned that this endeavor would include some kind of book club element. After all, I love sharing the books I read with others. You know what's even better? Collectively sharing and discussing a read with others! 

With that, I'm excited to unveil Club Book Mobile's latest adventure - A Book Club For All Seasons! For each season, I've intentionally picked a book to complement that time of the year. With each read, I'll then be hosting an online discussion. No matter where you're at, you now have the chance to live that book club life. Also, I'll be sure to provide plenty of instructions on how to engage, so if this is your rookie club and/or you're not sure how an online club might work, I will help y'all out.

It took me some time to land on my first four picks. However, I'm really, really stoked for the quartet I ultimately chose. So with that *drumroll*

Fall Selection - You May Now Kill The Bride by R.L. Stine


With Halloween in this season, it was a given the fall selection was going to be a thriller. In searching for a book, I was so, so, SO excited to see that R.L. Stine had rebooted Fear Street. The chance to revisit an author who first cultivated my love of a twisty thriller was just perfect for my kickoff selection. 

According to the publisher, Two sisters, divided by time. Each with a terrible resentment she can barely contain. Two Fear family weddings, decades apart. Each bride will find that the ancient curse that haunts the Fears LIVES ON. It feeds off the evil that courses through their blood. It takes its toll in unexpected ways, and allows dark history to repeat itself. In this all-new Fear Street story, family ties bind sisters together—till DEATH do they part." 


I'm so here for this reboot, and I hope y'all will be, too!

Discussion for this book will occur in October 2018.

Winter Selection - This Will Only Hurt A Little by Busy Phillips


The start of a new year seems like the best time to take on a book for a little advice or inspiration. I often find that in a memoir. I researched ones that were due to come out soon-ish. When I saw this one, it was a no-brainer. I was first introduced to Busy Phillips as Audrey (#dawsonscreekforever), and I've become increasingly appreciative of her humor (I mean, have y'all seen her stories, especially her Elf On The Shelf game, on Instagram?) and perspective on life. I'm looking forward to learning even more via this book.

According to the publisher, "Busy’s memoir offers the same unfiltered and candid storytelling that we’ve come to know and love on Instagram stories, from growing up in Scottsdale, Arizona and her painful and painfully funny teen years, to her life as a working actress, mother, and famous best friend. Busy is the rare entertainer whose impressive arsenal of talents as an actress is equally matched by her storytelling ability, sense of humor, and sharp observations about life, love, and motherhood. Her conversational writing reminds us what we love about her on screens large and small. From film to television to Instagram, Busy delightfully showcases her wry humor and her willingness to bare it all."


Discussion to occur in January 2019.

Spring Selection - Tin Man by Sarah Winman


Spring is the time of year where there is a great opportunity to refresh and recharge. For this season, I just wanted to pick an all-around good book. I've been wanting to read this book for some time. There's something about it that just sounds so compelling and captivating. Given I was in charge of book club picks, this one had to make the cut.

The description on Goodreads says, "Ellis and Michael are twelve when they first become friends, and for a long time it is just the two of them, cycling the streets of Oxford, teaching themselves how to swim, discovering poetry, and dodging the fists of overbearing fathers. And then one day this closest of friendships grows into something more. But then we fast forward a decade or so, to find that Ellis is married to Annie, and Michael is nowhere in sight. Which leads to the question, what happened in the years between? This is almost a love story. But it's not as simple as that."


Discussion to occur in April 2019.

Summer Selection - The Summer List by Amy Mason Doan


Summer is obviously going to be something that falls into the beach read genre. I'll admit that this one is not as "light-hearted" as I initially wanted to go. However, it has summer in the name, and the description and reviews were just too good to not make it the summer selection.

Here's what Goodreads says, "Laura and Casey were once inseparable: as they floated on their backs in the sunlit lake, as they dreamed about the future under starry skies, and as they teamed up for the wild scavenger hunts in their small California lakeside town. Until one summer night, when a shocking betrayal sent Laura running through the pines, down the dock, and into a new life, leaving Casey and a first love in her wake. But the past is impossible to escape, and now, after seventeen years away, Laura is pulled home and into a reunion with Casey she can’t resist—one last scavenger hunt. With a twist: this time, the list of clues leads to the settings of their most cherished summer memories. From glistening Jade Cove to the vintage skating rink, each step they take becomes a bittersweet reminder of the friendship they once shared. But just as the game brings Laura and Casey back together, the clues unravel a stunning secret that threatens to tear them apart. Mesmerizing and unforgettable, Amy Mason Doan’s The Summer List is about losing and recapturing the person who understands you best—and the unbreakable bonds of girlhood."


Discussion to occur in July 2019.

More details to come. Looking forward to reading with y'all!