Sunday, September 20, 2020

Book Reviews- Reads from the Future

This round of reads was all advanced copies. I love reading ARCs because I feel like I'm a reading time traveller. It also means I get to hype up books that aren't yet out, and I then get to hype them up again when they're released. So, here are some reads for your future!


Skunk and Badger by Amy Timberlake was a book that just made me smile. This is an absolute delight of a story. Badger reluctantly gets a roommate in Skunk. The two could not be more different, and Badger really struggles with this. However, with time, he softens to this unlikely pal. For me, this was reminiscent of Frog and Toad, another unlikely duo I adore! These were just such wonderful adventures (and I cannot wait to read more) that would be great for kids, families and really anyone who loves woodland creatures and/or opposites attract stories.

Group: How One Therapist and a Circle of Strangers Saved My Life by Christie Tate was a really interesting exploration of the author's experience with group therapy. Going into this, I knew very little about what group therapy actually looked like. That said, this was also a very unique therapy experience, so the book is really about exploring the author's specific experiences versus a commentary on any type of group therapy. The book covers years and a number of groups that Christie enters into at the directive of her therapist Dr. Rosen. At times, she doubts his advice and his facilitation, but she sticks with his process. Throughout, she is candid about what she is going through with regard to her mental health, with her group, and with the assignments and realities she must navigate. Honestly, I don't know that I would be willing to go this deep into my own mental health as a memoir, so I have respect that someone else was able to do this. Overall, this one was interesting in that it's a focus I didn't know much about and within that focus, it was about one woman's full, honest and complete journey. Thanks to Avid Reader Press for the early look at this October 2020 release.

The Wife Upstairs by Rachel Hawkins was just the thriller I had been craving y'all! I have needed something that was full of all the twists and drama, and this was so much of that. This story starts with a focus on Jane. Jane is a dogwalker in an upscale neighborhood. She has many clients in the gated community, and then she meets Eddie. Eddie is a wealthy widower, who doesn't even have a dog, but gets one just to connect with Jane. The two quickly connect and before long, Jane is living with Eddie. With Eddie, however, there is mystery and secrets around Eddie's wife Bea's death. The story is mainly told from Jane's point of view, but there are stories from Bea's point of view to slowly reveal the truth behind what really happened. This is one that kept me reading - literally I stayed up way too late one night because I was so drawn in. And the twists of this one were just so, so good! I could say a million ways how brilliantly this one was pieced together. You know there are secrets, but the characters are also so damn good at hiding them and making you believe their lies as you read. Thanks to NetGalley for the early look at this January 2021 read. This will be one you're going to need to check out in the new year!

Every Last Fear by Alex Finlay was a thriller that drew me in right away, and it didn't let me go until its very last pages. Matt, a college student, finds out his whole family has been murdered in Mexico as this story begins. This is now the second time his family has made headlines. His brother Danny was the subject of a true crime podcast focused on his brother's murder conviction. While Danny confessed to murdering his girlfriend, the podcast was about a potential wrongful conviction. With this new tragedy, Matt is thrown into figuring out what actually happened to his family and who is responsible. There seems to be more to the tragedy, and Matt also wonders if this connects to his brother Danny. The story focuses on the present day crime (and investigation) that has happened, but also looks back at Danny's story. The past and present weave together to help the reader figure out what might have really happened in both instances. This kept me reading as clues were revealed along the way. Multiple family members served as narrators, so it was especially captivating to piece together what happened (with both crimes) through their eyes. This one was so well done, and it is a literal page turner that I devoured. Thanks to NetGalley for the early look at this March 2021 release!

Onto the next ones!