Tuesday, August 17, 2021

Book Reviews - Historical Fiction & All the Feels (Again)

Hey, I read some historical fiction, and some stuff that was emotional, so just another day in the life. . .

From the Desk of Zoe Washington by Janae Marks was quite the middle grade read! This story centers on Zoe in two ways. First, it is about her budding relationship with her father. Zoe doesn't know him as he was sent to prison for a crime he didn't commit when she was young. When she receives an unexpecgted letter from him, she has an opportunity to begin exploring and building that relationship. Zoe is also an aspiring cook and trying to get on a kid's baking reality show. Y'all, that's a lot for anyone to manage, but especially a 12 year old! The story focuses on Zoe's determination to get the truth out about her dad and to also realize her baking dreams. She is driven towards both causes, and it was so amazing to read about such a strong girl on both fronts!

We Are Inevitable by Gayle Forman was one that was bursting with so many feels. It was so, so beautiful, and I just adored the story. Honestly, I just want to leave my review at that. But I will also say it involves a bookstore, so it also reeled me in with that! It definitely takes on some heavy themes, but it does it by centering the impact on the humans involved which adds to its emotional power. Again, I just want to simply say this was just wonderfully written with raw, authentic characters. It's a book that will both break your heart and give you hope which is why it's truly masterful.

Velvet Was The Night by Silvia Moreno-Garcia was a beautifully written book. This is my second book by this author, and above all else, she just uses language masterfully to tell stories. That said, this genre isn't really my jam. It was historical noir, and I can honestly say I haven't read one before, but I can appreciate the vibe and experience. The book takes place in 1970s Mexico City, and it's about a woman who wants to know what happened to her neighbor. Along the way, she finds someone else is also looking for her neighbor, and these two start to connect. This is overlaid with the happenings of the times which I honestly knew nothing about. I found it especially fascinating to read at the end about the truth that was in this story. Thanks to NetGalley for the early look at this recent release. If this genre is something you dig, would guess you'll really like this one.

The Most Beautiful Girl in Cuba by Chanel Cleeton was historical fiction centered on a woman I knew nothing about, but loved learning her story. The story focuses on Evangelina Cisneros who is imprisoned at the age of 18. She is passionate about Cuban independence from Spain, and she has many, many others who support her fight. Her story is picked up by a young female journalist in the US. She is trying to make a name for herself, and she sees Evagelina's story as that chance. However, she also realizes how committed she is to giving voice to this woman. Marina Perez is the third women whose story is told, and she joins the cause of freeing Evagelina and advancing her cause. Y'all, this was a fascinating story centering women to recount important historical happenings. I loved learning about people and events I didn't know through such amazing women! Thanks to NetGalley for the look at this recent release!

Onto the next ones!