Monday, May 16, 2016

2016 Reads - #45 - 48

In preparation for the JoCo Used Book Sale, I've been trying to empty out my queue. Plus, I've just hit a stretch of really great books, so I've been reading at a crazier rate than normal.




Strengths-Based Parenting was a book I read not because I'm a parent, but because I like StrengthsQuest a whole bunch. It was interesting to read about Strengths from a different lens and to think about how to utilize these in both parenting and for kids. This book also included some of the assessments available for kids to take, and I could totally pick out what mine would have been when I was a kiddo.

First Comes Love was an Advanced Reader's Copy (ARC) I received from NetGalley. The book is set to be released at the end of June. Emily Giffin is generally pretty reliable for me. This one is about two sisters who've taken very different paths in life after a family tragedy. It was interesting to think how curveballs can change the paths we've laid out for ourselves and how they continue to influence us. I read this one pretty quick because it was captivating, and I wanted to know what happened next. It's definitely worth checking out when it's released - It'd be a great beach/poolside read.

Chicken Soup for the Soul: The Joy of Less was actually a book I recommended the library purchased after seeing Brooke Burke-Charvet talking about it on GMA a few weeks ago. In typical Chicken Soup form, it's 101 short stories. This one was focused on reducing clutter and distraction in a variety of forms. It's something I've been working on a lot lately, and this was needed inspiration for the process. 

The Truth Hurts was a book I picked up at a recent used book sale. I love two of Nancy Pickard's other books - The Scent of Rain & Lightning and The Virgin of Small Plains. What I didn't realize is that these were actually different than her normal "lane," and she was more of a mystery writer. I breezed through this one, and the story kept me guessing. The premise is that a true crime writer is told she's going to write about her own murder, and it just goes from there. It was an unexpected gem I really enjoyed.