Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Book Reviews - Three for Me (and a Re-read)

Hello there people who read about what I read. For this, there were three books that were really about me and my own well-being. They all really gave me so much joy and life, so here they are.



The More or Less Definitive Guide to Self Care by Anna Borges was stellar y'all. It was absolutely stellar. Anna Borges is one of the authors of one of my favorite pieces on self care from the internet, so I was really excited to get the chance to do a deep dive into her work on the topic. This is an A to Z index of a variety of self care strategies. What I appreciate is that it keeps things simple. It's a manageable exploration of the topic. The thing about self care is that it can and should be accessible and easy. More than anything, it's about meeting basic needs and finding fulfillment in your day. I loved that this was the tone of the book. Of all the stuff I've read on self care (and I have read a lot), this is the best and most comprehensive review. I love that it wasn't just about one avenue, but this is really a chance to explore what works best for you. This is a great way to learn the what, the how, and the why of a variety of strategies around self care. This one doesn't hit shelves until November (I know, total bummer), but thanks to NetGalley I got a sneak peek! When this does hit shelves, I'll absolutely be purchasing a copy, so I can read, re-read, and re-read some more! 

Read this book if - You want the very best book out there around self care.

Educated by Tara Westover was a re-read as it's this month's selection for my book club. You can find my first review from earlier this year here. For this round, I opted for the audiobook, and y'all, it was intense. I knew what was coming, and it was almost more to take hearing the emotion of what was happening. This book is something, and if you haven't checked it out yet, it's worth the read.

MWF Seeking BFF: My Yearlong Search for a New Best Friend by Rachel Bertsche was a book I read in my twenties, and I wanted to to give it another go in my thirties. This is the reflection of a year of weekly friend dates to try to find connection. Upon moving to a new city, Rachel realizes she doesn't have any close friends. She decides to take an active role in finding her people. The book is a review of each of these dates from how she got connected to how the date goes to what happens after, and it's then interspersed with information on the science and data behind friendship. In my twenties, I remember really feeling this one. In my thirties, I still felt this one. It even kind of made me want to be more proactive in building new friendships. This is just an interesting piece as you think about how friendship evolves through your life, and honestly, it's all the truth about how hard it can be to make friends as an adult.

Read this book if - You want a honest reflection on the ups and downs of friendship. You want something that reflects on how hard adulting can be.

Also, I let someone borrow my copy of this seven years ago, and they never returned it. #iwillneverforget

How To Be a Grouch by Caroll Spinney was just the best of reads. It's Oscar the Grouch explaining all the skills required to be the best kind of grouch. It was just such fun as it was all the best humor of Oscar that I have come to know and love over the years. I first read this to my three year old nephew, but y'all, as a lifelong fan of Sesame Street (and Oscar, obvs), I also really adored it. It also has fantastic illustrations that add to the appeal. Sometimes you just need a book like this to make you smile (or frown given it's about that grouch life), and this is so much of that.

Read this book if - You share my love of Oscar the Grouch as a kid or adult.

Until the next round!