Monday, August 15, 2016

2016 Reads - #81 - 84

Turns out my stress is directly correlated to when I'm not reading. July was a month full of lots of travel and lots of stress and not books. However, I did make it through these.



Party of One is Dave Holmes' (yes, THAT Dave Holmes) autobiography. I've loved Dave ever since he was on I Wanna Be An MTV VJ. I still am annoyed that Jesse Camp won, but I'm glad that they also let Dave join the network. He's always been one of my pop culture faves. The book was really well done - very Dave Holmes - which is actually what I was hoping for. 

The Bees was an intriguing read. It's about a literal bee hive. It's told from the perspective of a worker bee who realizes she has extraordinary powers. I was a little unsure if I would be engaged in this story, but it was so well done and beautiful. 

All the Missing Girls was a surprise ARC. It's a story about a crime told in reverse. So, it starts at the final day (Day 15) and goes all the way back to Day 1. With each day, you learn the effect before the cause, and the outcome before the details. I was a little worried it would be hard to follow, but it made the story way more interesting. If you're a fan of thrillers, it's worth checking out.

Eligible was wonderful. Here's the thing - I love Curtis Sittenfeld. She's written some of my favorite books, and this was so great. It's a modern retelling of Pride & Prejudice set in Cincinnati, Ohio. Admittedly, I'm not over the moon obsessed with P&P, but remembered many of the details. At the same time, this read like a modern romance that I was reading for the first time. It is so, so worth the read.