Tuesday, July 11, 2017

June and July-ish Reads


Hey, here's what I've read lately.

The Bluest Eye (not pictured) was a book I read for my online book club. It was the first time I'd read Toni Morrison, and it was a good read. She writes beautifully, and while the story here is definitely tragic, it's well-told.

In the Woods was a mystery/thriller read. It's been in my queue for awhile, and I'm not sure why I waited so long to read it. It's a masterfully written thriller, and I dug it so much I ended up getting too much Tana French reads at the JoCo Book Sale.

Still Missing was another mystery/thriller. It's about a realtor who's kidnapped while on the job (#creepyaf), and then her experience is retold through her therapy appointments. There are some b-a-n-a-n-a-s twists here, and it's another great read.

Mortified was okay. I love, LOVE, LOVE the podcast, and I feel like some of the humor of that was lost in translation. The book actually had some reads that were from the podcast, and as I was reading I realized how the emotion of the live shows is what really makes this all work. So, don't read this, but absolutely 100% go and check out the podcast.

Who Thought This Was A Good Idea? is incredible, amazing, and all the things. I laughed out loud, I ugly cried, and I just adored this one. I've recommended it left and right, and I may just read it over and over and over again. If/when I write a book, I want it to be like this one.

Lilac Girls was this month's selection for my online book club. It is outstanding. It's the story of three women with three different experiences during World War II. The stories and issues covered are ones I previously knew little about and was captivated. It's an emotional read, but a worthwhile one for sure. Highly recommend, and I'm excited to discuss it at book club tomorrow.

The Good Stuff was a collection of my all-time favorite sports columnist's work. It's from 2001, so it's missing some of my most favorite pieces he's written, but these were still so great. If you're not familiar with Joe Posnanski, stop what you're doing, and read these:

Home in Capital Letters
Hamilton

You're welcome. (P.S. There are so many more of his pieces I could share, so make sure to dig deeper on his blog to fall more in love.)

Insight: Why We're Not as Self-Aware as We Think, and How Seeing Ourselves Clearly Helps Us Succeed at Work and in Life was fantastic. I learned a lot about how I seek out feedback (or don't) and give feedback (or don't). It made me reflect a lot about how I go through work/life, and it gave me some good tools for how to make some changes. The other perk of this book is that it's got lots of assessments and questions. I will actually probably read it again because there is so much to think through and process. (Oh and shout out to Blogging for Books for allowing me to check out this awesome book for free. Please accept this rave review as a big thanks for letting me do what I love!)