Friday, July 28, 2017

Time Out - Soda Foundations, Simon & Self-Care

Y'all I've written so many blog posts these past few days. I had so many ideas about how I'd articulate all of these revelations. Ultimately, all those posts were shit. Seriously. I didn't realize it at the time, but now that I look back and admit it.



I read a book this week Get Your Sh*t together. I could have told you before the book I don't always have my sh*t together (especially not as of late), but it was good to read through and not only affirm this, but get some strategies for getting better.

Side Note: She uses Alvin and the Chipmunks as an analogy. It's great. Surprising no one, I'm totally a Simon.


Anyway, as I was thinking, I realized I have once again filled my cup to the brim. You know how when you go to a soda fountain, and the soda fizzes up, and you kind of wait for it to go down, and then you add just a little bit more, then wait for the fizz to go down, then add a little bit more. Then, you just repeat this over and over until you get as close to the lid as possible. Yeah, that's what I do in life. So, that's the worst.

Last week, I presented at a conference on self-care. It was one of my favorite topics and presentations I've ever done. Here's the thing (which the book also affirmed) I know very well what I enjoy doing. I know very well what I want to be doing. However, I run rogue on my to-do list, find mindless ways to hijack my own day, and I can fill a day without every actually feeling full - in the emotional sense, not the food sense to be clear.

As I thought about how much I enjoyed the space I created for others last week, I realized I need to take a moment and create that space for myself.

I had this grandiose vision of how I was going to do this here. I'll lead everyone through the reflection I did last week! Y'all, what the heck? That's not space for me. That's space I'm giving to someone else. There I go filling up that soda cup yet again.


This is probably the one and only time Beavis & Butthead makes the blog.


I'm writing this to say I don't have my sh*t together right now, and I'm offering myself forgiveness. I messed up, and that's on me. I'm also publicly saying I'm making myself a priority. I'm going to be more selfish than usual, and I'm not going to feel bad about it. The things I love the most are the things that are going to start taking more of my time. And the other stuff? It's time to start letting go. It'll take time, and I won't tell you that I'm going to be all awesome, all the time at this. However, what I am saying is that this post is soley about me and what I need and what I must do to feel better. And it feels really great to give that space.


P.S. For the record, I used to say pop, not soda. Kansas is totally pop country. Then, I moved to Texas. I got tired of being the rogue pop user, so I converted. Six years later, it's stuck with me.