Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Books for the Young-ish

For this round, my reads skewed a bit younger than I tend to go, but still good. 



The Joy of Cookies is Cookie Monster's latest (only?) book. If you ever thought to yourself, "What would it be like if Cookie Monster wrote a book?" this will answer that question and probably be totally what you envisioned. This is more of a conversation piece as it is a really quick read. It is literally just common inspirational phrases and such with cookies swapped into the content. I'll admit I chuckled at quite a few of these. Look, y'all, this isn't an intense read by any stretch, however it's a good moment of comic relief if you are searching for that kind of thing in your life.

Read this book if - Cookie Monster is one of your favorite Muppets. You have a strong love of cookies. You want to find something that's totally lighthearted and fun.

The One and Only Ivan by K.A. Applegate is phenomenal. Y'all, it is just totally and completely phenomenal. It's told from Ivan's perspective which is unique because Ivan is a gorilla who lives in captivity at a circus-themed mall. Through his eyes, you learn about the other animals, the people, etc. It is so beautifully told and gave me all the feels. The author wrote animals that have this incredible heart. I'm not sure how she did it, but she really made me 100% feel this was the actual gorilla interpreting and recounting his world. The book also focuses on Ivan's relationship with a young elephant, and this had me so absolutely captivated. I've still got half of the year to go, but I'm quite sure this book is going to earn a spot in my 2018 Top Ten Reads list. This one is so, so, so worth the read.

Read this book if - You love a good read about animals with the added layer of the animal telling the story. You're looking for something that's going to make you all kinds of emotional - in that way where you smile, but also cry.

The Boxcar Children: Journey on a Runaway Train is part of the rebooted Boxcard Children series. As a kiddo, I was more apt to get the latest Babysitter's Club book than the Boxcar Children in my book orders, but still familiar with the series as a youth of the 1980s. However, as a result of seeking out some context, I had some realizations about the series. First off all, did y'all realize the series really began in the 40s/50s/60s? Well, I didn't. Also, I had no idea the original author died in 1979. My mind was all kinds of blown. Anyway, I thought the author of this new one did a good job of taking into account what the BC would and wouldn't have in present days. There was some technology interwoven, but it also stayed true to the group's original dynamics. 

Read this book if - You're looking to reconnect with the Boxcar Children. You're looking to get a kiddo in your life connected to the Boxcar Children.

Holding Up the Universe by Jennifer Niven is a YA read that's been on my to-read list for awhile. As I was travelling last week, I thought it was a good opportunity to check this one out. The story is about Libby who was formerly named "America's Fattest Teen" and Jack who has diagnosed prosopagnosia which is the inability to recognize faces, even of those he sees each days. With their issues, they have to navigate the world. For Libby, it's navigating space with who she was (including friendships) and who she is now. For Jack, it's knowing there's something wrong, but not sharing that with his family and friends. This one is all the teen angst, and I'm totally here for that. From the YA angle, it's totally bringing the emotions you hope a book like this will. The connection between Libby and Jack starts because of a high school dare gone wrong, and it gains such depth in both of their stories from there. 

Read this book if - You are someone who digs a good YA love-ish story. You're looking for something that covers the complications of being a teenager with added dimension and feels.