Saturday, November 10, 2018

One Of These Books Is For You!

Y'all this is a round of four very different books, but I really like each of them. Pending the genre you're in the mood for/generally read, I can almost guarantee one of these will be your jam!



Paperback Crush: The Totally Radical History of '80s and '90s Teen Fiction by Gabrielle Moss was a heaping, helping dose of nostalgia. This was my tween reading days revisited, and I just loved it. The book sub-divides the genre by explaining each of the themes/subgeneres of the time. From serious issues to horror (my personal jam) to BFFs, this had all the things I loved about  Best of all, there are all the pictures of the covers. I mean, so much of the genre was the covers! I loved the chance to remember books I'd forgotten (sorry I did that to you, Girl Talk) and to wonder how I never knew some of these were a thing. This book is such an awesome tribute to the books of this time, but more than that, it's a connection for the readers of that time. I was so inspired by this one, I even went out and found some throwback reads to check out! 

Read this book if - As soon as you started reading my review, you said to yourself, "I LOVED THOSE BOOKS!" You are a thirtysomething (and maybe older - I can only speak for my decade) that read in this lane and/or would love an excuse to read this genre again.

The Meaning of Maggie by Megan Jean Sovern was an absolute treat of a read. This is a middle grade novel with a narrator I absolutely adored. Maggie is an 11 year old girl who is writing her memoir. With this, she takes you through the year that was. The biggest part of this story is Maggie's dad has been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. This means that he is no longer working, and he is in a wheelchair. Maggie is trying to understand what this means for her dad and her world. To see this through her eyes is emotional. Maggie always just has a unique spirit and humor. I laughed out loud many times as she went through her days. There's her first crush, her request for a share of stock for her birthday, and of course, her ongoing aspirations to be President.. And there's just so much. I loved how this story was told y'all, and I can nearly guarantee humans of all ages will fall in love with Maggie. Finally, I LOVE THIS COVER. It's easily one of my favorites ever.

Read this book if - You want a uniquely told story. You want a story that has some heart (and some heartbreak) as well as humor. You want a book that's just a good book.

All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr was a book I almost don't need to review. This is mostly because I'm terribly late to reading this one. Y'all, how has this beauty of a read been out for literal years without me taking the time to read it?!?! Well, the good news is I know have been introduced to this one, and what a beautiful read. There are some books that are just darn near perfectly told, and this is one of those. For those of you who don't yet know and love this one, it is the story of a young German soldier and a blind French girl in occupied France during World War II. Their stories are told in alternating chapters. However, there is also intersection. This one was heartbreaking many, many times over, but there was also glimmers of hope and goodwill. It made me feels all the feels, and I loved it. 

Read this book if - You haven't read this book already. I don't give such general recommendations often, but this is one of those times.

The Perfect Girlfriend by Karen Hamilton was one heckuva thriller. I have often mentioned that a book reminds me of a Lifetime movie (and y'all, I LOVE Lifetime movies to be clear), but this belong in that genre more than any other. It's rare that I read a book, and as a twist happens I say (practically yell) out loud, "WHAT?!?" This book was that. The story is told from an ex-girlfriend who is trying to get her ex back. She is willing to go to extreme lengths to do that. However, that's only one part of the story. This one was revenge on revenge on revenge, and whoa, whoa, whoa. I don't want to give too much away because the twists are so much of the appeal. Thanks to NetGalley for letting me get these thrills early. Y'all will be able to see what I'm talking about when this releases in March 2019!

Read this book if - You love Lifetime movies in all their awesomeness. You love a good jaw-dropping twist or two.

Until the next round!