Monday, November 19, 2018

Tears, Fears & Cats

Y'all, I usually know what I'm getting into when I start reading a book. The first two of these were so unexpected. I felt literally all the feels I could. I followed up with a thriller just for a good emotional cleanse. Then, I jumped right back in with a Jodi! This was a special quartet where I dug all four, and I think y'all can find something in here, too!



Things You Save In A Fire by Katherine Center is a story that hit me in the feels in all the best ways. After reading my second of her books, I'm realizing Katherine Center is the kind of author who writes books that absolutely captivate me, and I love her for it. This book focuses on Cassie who is a firefighter in Texas. She relocates to Boston after an unwelcome blast from the past and need to help her mother with her ailing health. Her new fire station is full of challenge. First of all, they're not exactly excited about having a woman join their team, and they're also not shy about letting Cassie know. Second, there's "the rookie" who's started alongside Cassie. He makes her feel a certain kind of way, and she's not sure what to do with that. Y'all, this one had so much emotion. I was so into Cassie's story. At times, it was a hard read because I was so emotionally invested in Cassie's life - both personal and professional. Also, there were some twists at the end that made it so I literally had to sit down and catch my breath. I mean, y'all, my heart was racing as I was that into this one. Thanks to NetGalley for letting me get a sneak peek of this one that's not due out until August 2019. I'll be sure to remind y'all about this one as the release date approaches because I need others to feel these feels and then discuss said feels with me. Until then, find time to read How To Walk Away if you haven't already. 

Read this book if - You want a book that does an amazing job of building characters and relationships that you will become emotionally invested in. You want a story makes you feel so many feels - good and bad. You need to read a book about people - seriously.

If Cats Disappeared From The World by Genki Kawamura was yet another one that hit me in the feels. This one was so unexpected. I received this ARC in the mail, started reading that evening, and before I knew it, I was a mess of tears. This book was originally published in Japan, and the translated version is due out in March of 2019. The premise of the book is that the main character (a postman) is dying. The devil shows up, and he offers to give him one more day with a catch. That catch is that for him to get one day one thing is going to be eliminated from the world. This book was absolutely beautiful. Each day something else is gone, and the impact is explored. At the core of each day, there is a realization of why that thing really matters. Again, this book was just beauty all around. Also, if you're a cat lover, you'll love the role cats play in the story. It'll make you feel a special kind of way. This is one that'll get you thinking and talking and wanting to share it with those you love.

Read this book if - You want a book that will make you feel all the feels. You want a book that will make you think about life and love in a special kind of way. You need a book that when it's over will make you just want to sit and reflect.

The Last Thing I Told You by Emily Arsenault was a thriller that was true to the genre in the best of ways. The story begins with a therapist being found dead in his office. The search then begins to figure out just who did it. This part of the story is narrated by the detective. Meanwhile, Nadine, a former patient of Dr. Fabian's, spends her narration talking to the doctor. She recounts her time in his care and what she did and didn't share. The story becomes complicated quickly as two files are in Dr. Fabian's office - Nadine's and Johnny Streeter who is in jail for a mass shooting. This is one that kept me reading. The two narrations have some overlap, and I had to know what the ultimate connect and resolution of this one was going to be. 

Read this book if - You are looking for a plain and simple, well-written thriller. 

A Spark of Light by Jodi Picoult is her latest. As I explained in my initial insta-review, this book is Jodi Picoult doing her best Jodi Picoulting. If you've read enough of her stuff, you'll know what this means. This isn't a bad thing, rather it's just that you know what you get when you pick up a Jodi. This one starts with a shooting at a women's reproductive health clinic. The shooter is still inside, and a hostage negotiator is on the scene. The situation becomes more high stakes as he realizes his own daughter is inside. The story is uniquely told in reverse. It begins at 5 PM, then each chapter winds back the clock an hour. With each hour, more is revealed about the staff and patients inside, as well as those who are outside. Jodi weaves a complicated web as only she can, and that kept me reading. I was bummed I figured out one of the twists, so I didn't get that excitement pop at the end. Also, because the twists were especially late, I had so many questions and resolutions I needed. When you become emotionally invested, sometimes you just need that, you know? 

Read this book if - You haven't yet read this Jodi Picoult. You want a book that explores a complex topic through complex characters and storytelling.

And onto the next ones!