Monday, November 23, 2020

Book Reviews - Old and New Friends

Oh, hey there. For this round, I was able to revisit some stuff that was repackaged in a new way, and I had the joy of finding my way to some new stuff. I'm pretty sure that's just what reading is, but you know, I have to banter here somehow. Anyway. . .

Fangirl: The Manga #1 by Sam Maggs was a delightful re-imagining of Rainbow Rowell's book that I just absolutely love. My only critique of this book is I definitely didn't realize this was the first of several volumes. I was so drawn into the revisiting that I was so bummed to realize this oversight. That said, this is my first manga EVER. This is a format that's been on my list to check out, and y'all, there was truly no better way to do that than through this story. This story is such a delight, and to find my way back to it through these illustrations was an extra special treat. For me, this manga kept the humor, joy and emotion that is Fangirl while also adding something new and fun. I'm ready (literally, y'all, can everything be out tomorrow?) for the rest of these volumes to be released!

Where the Light Enters: Building a Family, Discovering Myself by Jill Biden was an honest and wonderful memoir by the former Second Lady/incoming First Lady. What I loved about this was that this was truly her story. Obviously, Joe (as in the president-elect) is part of this story, but this centered her. In telling this story, she was also honest. She talked about her childhood, her young adulthood (including her first marriage), her career, and the family and love she found her way to with Joe and the boys - and then their daughter. What shines through in this is her love of being an educator. She isn't just someone who teaches, but she loves her students and learning, and y'all, what a beautiful thing that is. I also loved her commitment to causes, especially the work she's doing around veterans. I also loved her honesty around faith. She and the Biden family have experienced incredible tragedy, and she talked authentically about what that has meant for them, and specifically for her heart. This was just a wonderful read about a human who I wanted to learn more about, and I was offered a huge window into her world!

The Gifts of Imperfection: 10th Anniversary Edition by Brene Brown was a book I just loved revisiting. I mean, who doesn't fangirl over the amazing work of Brene Brown. While this is the tenth anniversary edition, the original content is here because y'all, her work endures. However, what I also loved is the new introduction where she reflects on how she's grown as a human. She also shares how she reads books for learning and growth. I don't feel like I have a lot to say about Brene Brown because she's just, well, Brene Brown. If you haven't read this in a minute, this is worth the revisit. I needed to hear these words and re-anchor in these guideposts, especially in 2020.

Meet Me in Bombay by Jenny Ashcroft was an incredibly emotional historical fiction read. Y'all, this one was some kind of ride with my feels. The story begins in 1913. Maddy is in Bombay, and she meets Luke. He isn't who her family might expect her to fall in love with (and in fact, there are some other individuals that come into play with the plot), but she is absolutely swept away by him. Their love is deep and true, and they are so enamored by each other. As they are finding love, the world is in turmoil as World War I looms. This has a huge impact on Maddy and Luke, and the story then explores what this means. This is a story that drew me in, as I was rooting for Maddy and Luke. However, being drawn in meant I was emotionally captivated, and this one put me through some twists and turns with that journey. This is one that kept me reading as I rooted for love, but also had to wade through the challenges they found along the way. Thanks to NetGalley for the early look at this January 2021 release. This is definitely one to get on your list!

Onto the next ones!