Sunday, November 1, 2020

Book Reviews - Women I Adore

The thing I will say about this quartet is there were women I just absolutely love connected to 75% of what I read. They gave me feels in so many different ways, and they were just so darn good. 

Poisoned by Jennifer Donnelly was a re-imagining of Snow White. One thing you need to know about me is Snow White is my all-time favorite princess. Growing up, I had a Snow White themed bedroom, and I continue to build my collection via antiquing which has become the theme for one of our guest rooms. Anyway, let's talk about the book. But I think the context is important because what I really love about Snow White re-imaginings is how they tap into who she really is. The Disney version only scratches the surface of her bravery and resilience, and I love that a book like this does! This is a story that focuses on Sophie. The story starts with Sophie going into the forest with the huntsman. However from there, the story starts to look a little bit different. It's all the same characters, but there are slight tweaks to how things progress. This is what drives the drama and the emotional connection, and y'all, it's just so well done. The villain in this is also different, but that is what makes this great! As you think about the story of Snow White, this all makes so much sense. Snow White is forever my girl, and I love that she has this new retelling to explore her tale in a powerful and special way. Thanks to Scholastic for the look at this recent release! 

This Secret Thing by Marybeth Mayhew Whalen is a story that is literally just secrets on secrets on secrets in the suburbs. There is a prostitution ring, a return from college, a girl just holding secrets of other neighbors, forbidden love, a mystery body, and just so many damn things. What I liked about the story was the multiple narrators who were holding multiple secrets from others who then shared what was really going on. For me though, there was almost too much going on. As I'm reflecting back, I almost feel like I read multiple books instead of just one! However, if you want a domestic thriller with literally all the twists, this is where you need to turn. Even though it was a lot, it kept me reading as I wanted to know how it all (and all was so much) played out. Thanks to NetGalley for the look at this recent release!

Nothing Like I Imagined (Except for Sometimes) by Mindy Kaling is a six essay collection. When it comes to Mindy Kaling, my default setting for her work is love. I knew going on that this was going to be something for me. What I especially loved about these was the honesty of this collection. With her humor, she talks about what its like to be a mom, what it means to be a friend, her mental health and just how she is navigating world right now. This is a quick read as I read all of these in under an hour. However, it was just the right amount of Mindy that I needed in my life right now!

Everything Beautiful In Its Time by Jenna Bush Hager was just a beauty of a read. It was a book that had me in tears at times, other times I was smiling as I could relate, and sometimes I just nodded along as I read her amazing words. The book is a tribute to her four grandparents and the life lessons she learned from each of them along the way. As someone who has been fortunate to grow up close with my grandparents, I could relate to so much of what she shared about their connection. This book was just such an incredible tribute to the people who made Jenna who she is today. It also is a tribute to the life each of these humans lived and the impact they had on the family. This book resonated in my heart and soul, and I absolutely loved it. 

Onto the next ones!