Tuesday, February 21, 2017

(Still) Allergic To My Family

I have read this book more times than I count. When I was a kid and needed something to check out at my school's library, I'd pick this book over and over and over again. I was particularly excited to dive into this one after at least 20 years apart! The story is about Rosie and her huge mess of a family. She gets annoyed and aggravated and all the things, but their quirky gang is so endearing and fun. It was just as I remembered it, and it was fun to take a pit stop back into one of my all-time favorites.


When I was a kid, I remember learning that if you sent a letter to the publisher's address (listed on the copyright page), an author would get it and could write you back. After spending my grade school years in Rosie's world, I decided to take the plunge and write an author. So, I sat down and wrote a letter to Liza Ketchum. And you know what y'all?!?!? She wrote me back!!


I can still remember the exact day and excitement I felt when I opened up my mailbox, and there was a letter from a real-life author! I read it over and over and over again. For many years (and even now), I wanted to be an author, so this was an especially huge deal for me.)

Looking back on this book and this letter, I was struck my the kindness. She took the time to acknowledge what I'd wrote, and at 12 (and now), that meant so very much. This also reminded me of the simple joys of a letter. I'm endlessly trying to write and do more to connect with others through the written word, and this little nugget from my past gave me the renewed commitment to do just that.

Oh, and if I ever make it back to my elementary school library, my first stop is in the fiction section to see if this book/my old friend is still in its familiar spot waiting for me to check it out. . .again.