Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Throwback to the Books - February

I was honestly afraid to go back and read The Age of Miracles. I loved it the first time I read it, and I was concerned that the second time through wouldn't be as great.

Well, I was kind of right. The book is about the earth's orbit gradually slowing meaning the world is (literally) all out of whack. It turns out a story centered around environmental change isn't as endearing in this day and age. I still was captivated, but my re-review isn't as raving as the first trip through.

I will say that the cover is still one of the most beautiful I've seen.

This is the actual book.

This is the dust jacket. Notice how the yellow and orange comes through the small holes.

The Little House series by Laura Ingalls Wilder was my jam as a kid. I had the boxed set - still have the boxed set. I remembered Little Town on the Prairie being my favorite, so I decided to re-read this one in the series.


It was as I remembered, and it was a reminder of how much pioneer culture was my jam as a kid. This book focuses on when Laura is older. Mary has gone off to college, Almanzo is introduced, and by the end, Laura is a teacher. Oh, and Nellie Oleson is around. Honestly, I didn't remember her being in the stories , as I was focused more on Laura and her family when I read as a kid. However, going back, she was annoying AF. Word on the street is she's not a real person, so that's comforting, but y'all, she was too much.

Someday, I'd like to take my love of this series to the next level and do some road-tripping to the sites in the book like The Wilder Life, but for now, the revisit to the book was a fun rest stop.

P.S. One other Throwback for the month was already recapped. Check out my return to Allergic to My Family here.