Friday, October 27, 2017

Early October Reads


Oh, hi, here's what I read lately-ish.

Friend Request was good, but the ending wasn't great. I wanted so much more. The book is about a woman who receives a facebook friend request from someone who she thinks/knows is dead. So, the book is then her unweaving the web of what the heck is going on. It goes back and forth between the present and the past to start connecting what really went down and is currently happening. It built some good suspense, but the twist was one that's honestly been in a lot of thrillers I've read as of late, so that was a bummer. 

After You is the sequel to Me Before You. I was hesitant to take this on because Me Before You was such an emotional investment. I mean, y'all, it broke me. This one ended up surprising me. Predictably, it's about (SPOILER ALERT - DO NOT PASS GO IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE FIRST BOOK) Louisa's life after Will. I absolutely loved it. It's a well-done read about how Louisa works through the grief of losing Will and also how she tries to find a new life where she belongs. There's even some love story mixed in which I enjoyed. Turns out, there's a third book coming out about Louisa in early 2018, and I am so here for that.

The Animators was a Book Of The Month selection from awhile ago. Honestly, I just hadn't gotten around to reading/hadn't really been drawn to the plot. This is another one that surprised me. This one is about two friends who are in the animation (surprise, huh?) business together. They're on the cusp of really, really making it big, but there are some pieces of their past (and present) they each need to work through. It's hard to truly explain the plot of this one, but the characters and stories are all-around outstanding. It took me a minute to get into this one, but once I did, I was absolutely swept away.

Fierce Kingdom was okay. It takes place over the course of three hours at a zoo where there's an active shooter. The ending was odd, some of the character's decisions were puzzling, and it was just an all-around "meh" read. Better luck next book, I guess.