Thursday, October 12, 2017

The Rest of September's Reads


Finish: Give Yourself the Gift of Done was Jon Acuff's latest read. I first got exposed to Jon Acuff when a colleague gave me one of his books when I was in a bit of a career rut. Since then, I've been a big fan of his work around career/life development. No surprise that this book focuses on finishing goals which people are kind of terrible at for the most part. The focus is on strategies around how to actually do what we set out to do. I found lots of good nuggets of advice in this one, and I'm excited to put them into action.

Snow Angels is a book that's been on my to-read list for quite sometime. I found it this summer at the JoCo Used Book Sale. Y'all, I'm not totally sure what to tell you about this one. The writing was fantastic, but also it's not one I could rave about to you. It's a bummer of a read as far as plot is concerned as it focuses on death and tragedy, but it's well-written? This review is weird.

The Drowning Girls was this month's book club read. P.S. Don't confuse it with The Drowning Girl and/or The Drowned Girl which are also apparently books. This thriller kept me reading mostly from nerves about what was going to happen next. This reads like a good Lifetime movie plot, and y'all, does it get any better than that? Spoiler Alert: It doesn't. 

Hello, Sunshine was this month's read for my online book club. I had to read quickly because the book is due tomorrow. However, I also felt like the plot moved super quick. The book was short-ish (242 pages), so there wasn't a lot of time to dig into characters. While I liked this book overall, I also wanted to know so much more. 

And that's a wrap on September's reads!