Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Bookish Adventures - Blind Dates with Books

I've been in a weird book rut lately. I'm still reading (and finding things I love), but I'm not just not in my usual rhythm.


read mariah carey GIF
To get out of the rut, I've decided to try something new- I'm going to blind date my books. 

You see, I tend to pick books that I'm in the mood for. Mood is hard to explain. It's really just what jumps out to me when I look at what I've got - That could be genre, how long I've had it, author, etc.


cat jump GIF

Other times I pick based on page number. I tend to read things that are <350 pages or less, so anything more than that messes with my typical pacing. I"m obviously capable of reading more pages, but that's just where my page preferences land.

read x files GIF by The X-Files

There are still other reasons I pick books - Timing for Book Club, buzz from a friend, library availability, etc. Anyway, I'm not here to talk about how I usually read. I'm here to share my newest adventure.

The strategy is simple really - I don't know what I'm reading next until I have it in my hand. To make this work, I put all the books I own and still need to read, as well as a few I've been wanting to re-read, with their spines down in a basket. I then had my husband mix them up a bit just so I wouldn't pick something based on what/where I thought it was.



The hardest part for me will be giving up control. I mean, I've already "pre selected" these books given I've bought them, but leaving the order/anything to chance is not usually my jam.

So, for the next few weeks, if you need me, I'll be on some book-ish blind dates. It'll be an interesting adventure, but I'm hoping it gives me that jolt that I'm looking for when it comes to reading.

Here we go!

 fail book finger reading lick GIF