Friday, February 15, 2019

Book Reviews: Intriguing Stories and People

At this point, I think it's the rule not the exception that I read in really random quartets. This is one of those (normal) times.




Taking the Work Out of Networking: An Introvert's Guide to Making Connections that Count by Karen Wickre was an interesting read. There wasn't any earth-shattering and/or new advice about networking per se. Instead this was really a reframing of networking. I'll own that as an introvert (and with other identities I have/traits) networking isn't an activity I enjoy. With that in mind, this was a book that actually made me feel better about the next time I'm in a networking space. She really does a great job of explaining networking simply in a way that makes it a far less daunting practice. I appreciated that this book was almost like a boost of confidence for introverts. She explains what qualities and strategies introverts might already have that could be an asset. The tips and tricks in this one are definitely things I plan to revisit and try out down the road. Thanks to NetGalley for allowing me to check this useful tool out!

Read this one if - You're looking for a book that will enhance your ability to network, particularly if it's not your jam.

The Day the World Came to Town: 9/11 in Gander, Newfoundland by Jim DeFede was outstanding! If you want a book that shows you the absolute best of people, this is that book. This is the true story of what happened in a small town in Canada on and after 9/11. When US airspace was closed, there were still plans en route that needed somewhere to go. One of those places was a town of around 10,000 people that had large runways due to once being a refueling station. So, planes started landing - lots of planes. In fact, over 7000 people descended on this town. It was such a time of uncertainty in pain, and here these humans were in an unfamiliar place with so much confusion and questions about what was happening. The book details how the townspeople worked to do whatever they could to help those temporary residents. It also details the stories of the some of the passengers who found themselves there - both with backstories and while in Gander. In what will always be one of the worst times, this book shows the good of people. I will also say that prior to reading this, I didn't know anything about what happened in this town, and I was so very captivated. This is my current go-to recommendation, so if you haven't read this one, and you're looking for a book that is just all-around incredible, this is that book rn.

Read this book if - You want something to show you the best of us.

The Last Day of Night by Graham Moore was a re-read. This time, I checked it out on audiobook. My online book club discussed it this month (based on my recommendation), and it was great to revisit this world once more. I won't review this one again given I just did in May, so check out the original review here

Read this book if - You're a fan of historical fiction. You have either no, little and/or any level of knowledge about light bulbs and Thomas Edison (and Westinghouse and Tesla, too!), as this really can appeal to all crowds. You enjoy a book that makes an unexpected topic fascinating.

As I shared earlier this week, I'm also now blind dating my books. This was my first date.

The Tumbling Turner Sisters by Juliette Fay is the story of four sisters who join a vaudeville act. When their father is injured when trying to help someone else and unable to work, joining a vaudeville act is deemed the best way to make money by their mother. They decide to create a tumbling act, and they enter the show. This story is told in alternating chapters by two of the sisters - Gert and Winnie. While there is quite a bit (obviously) about the vaudeville experience, this is really about the sisters and their relationships. Through these relationships, there is heartbreak, there is forbidden love, there is new love, and there is unexpected love. This was an enjoyable read as it had compelling characters and storylines, while also allowing me to learn more about vaudeville.

Read this book if - You like your historical fiction with a side of love story and complexity. 

Onto the next ones!