Wednesday, December 21, 2016

2016 Reads - #117 - 120


And just like that, I matched last year's reading total (with a few weeks to go!)

O Great One! was a book I saw on a display at an airport recently. It is about the importance of positive recognition in the workplace, and it's told as a leadership fable of sorts by the CEO of Yum! (KFC). I liked it. . .didn't love it. There are some interesting concepts, and it's always good to remind people to appreciate people.

Emory's Gift is a book I'm still figuring out how I felt about it. The book is about a boy who befriends a bear. It was an intriguing story, and it was well-written. It kept me reading because of the way it was written, but I didn't necessarily totally connect with the story and characters.

Hamilton: The Revolution was so great. So great, as all things Hamilton are. It was an incredible read to really get a window into Lin Manuel Miranda's mind. It was fascinating to learn about how he built the story of Hamilton and how much he thought about how to integrate various hip-hop inspirations. I didn't think it was possible, but it made me love Lin and Hamilton even more.

American Girl: Ultimate Visual Guide was fantastic. Here's the thing y'all - I love American Girl. I have four actual dolls (Felicity, Kirsten, Samantha and Molly), and I have always loved the franchise. This was kind of like reading the old AG catalogs (remember those?!?), and it took me back. It was also interesting to read about where things have gone since my fandom has diminished, and I'll be honest, it totally made me want to get back into American Girl.