Tuesday, January 31, 2017

January Exploreading

Y'all, if I would have known how much a reading challenge would have injected so much into my reading life, I would have started one so much sooner. I'm only a few months in, and this has been so great.

First off, I read a book about a historical event before 1900.



George Washington's Secret Six: The Spy Ring That Saved the American Revolution caught my eye when I was at the airport, and I was able to pick it up at my local library.

I honestly couldn't tell you the last nonfiction book I read about a historical event, so this was way out of my lane. I would give total and complete credit to Hamilton for igniting my interest in this era of history. 

The book focuses on how General Washington used spies to outwit the British. Perhaps the most fascinating part in this is that one of the spies was a woman. Even more fascinating is that to this day, no one has any idea who she is - She is just known as Agent 355. In addition, most of the spies didn't want and weren't given great accolades for their work. It wasn't until about 150 years later that anyone even knew anything about the critical role they played in the American Revolution. Learning about the techniques they used (variations of which are still used today) was so, so interesting.


I also read a book from the Frequently Challenged Books list.



Y'all, I'm not sure how Anastasia Krupnik and I have existed in the universe together and never met. I absolutely, totally and completely loved this book. Anastasia may be ten, but I want to be her BFF. She loves words and makes hate/love lists that honestly read as if I made them. Her emotional reactions were so much me, and I just related so, so, so much to her. Also, I realized there are EIGHT MORE ANASTASIA BOOKS, so don't be surprised if more pop up on my reading reviews before year's end.