Sunday, January 15, 2017

Back to Pompeii

Fun Fact - In sixth grade, I wrote a play about Pompeii. I'm not sure where I read/learned about this moment in history, but I was captivated enough to write and direct this play for my class. Here from my archives is an exclusive copy. . . 


Given my long-standing fascination with Pompeii, I wanted to check out the exhibit at Union Station as soon as we could. The eruption of Mount Vesuvius was a terrible tragedy, but the view the relics of Pompeii offer into life during the first century AD are incredible. The fact that these are things from nearly 2000 years ago is mind-blowing. MORE mind-blowing is when you think about how much we have today that is disposable/with a limited lifespan, and this stuff is still around in pristine condition!

I won't share all the things in the exhibit because it's far better to be seen in real-life. I will offer some highlights and favorites.

The sculptures of animals were absolutely stunning.


\

Not to mention their immaculate mosaic work.

 

I mean, can you imagine how long something like that must have taken?

They also had amazing sculptures of people.

 

(The cameo appearance by my husband gives you a little idea of size._

There were also smaller pieces with the most remarkable detail.

 

Their hand=drawn stuff wasn't too shabby either.


What was perhaps most fascinating (besides everything) was how many of the things they developed that are still being used today.

This is the Roman version of a CARD TABLE!


Here are colanders. Honestly, they are the most beautiful colanders I've ever seen.

 

And y'all, they even had charred raisins.


The first 3/4 of the exhibit focuses on what life was like back then. It explains where they lived, where they worked, and really everything that was happening in the city day to day. Given all the artifacts, they're able to do this with actual "stuff" from the era. The final 1/4 of the exhibit focuses on the eruption and eventual discovery (in 1748!) of the lost city.

I highly recommend checking this one out. You can get more information here.