Thursday, May 12, 2016

2016 Reads - #33 - 44

Oh, hi, it's time to blog books. While I usually blog in fours, I got behind (again), so I'm kicking this part of the blog off with a 3-for-1 deal!




Local Knowledge was a book I had in the queue for awhile. If I'm being honest, I wanted the drama it had to be bigger and flashier, but alas, it is wasn't. (Translation: I was hoping for a Lifetime movie in book form.)

Good to Great is a book that gets referenced a lot at work, and while I've read a crazy amount of business and leadership books I've somehow not actually read this one. So, I did. I really liked it, and I could see the appeal for utilizing this so much. I was definitely a fan, and I've started thinking about how to integrate the principles.

Day After Night is historical fiction story about women in a British internment camp during World War II. Each woman has a very different background and path, and their stories also all intersect. This was really good - At the same time, I had to own that this was never going to be The Red Tent which is just a masterpiece of masterpieces.

Love That Boy was an Advance Reader's Copy I received (thanks, Shelf Awareness). This is a story of a journalist who chronicles the presidents who is also the father of a son with Asperger's. The father and son take a road trip to various presidential libraries, and along the way, they learn a lot about each other paralleling with a tale of the father each president was. It was really intriguing and beautiful, and I learned a lot. I think it's an awesome read for fathers, people who geek out about presidents (i.e. me) and anyone else who just likes a well-written book.



Quitter is phenomenal. It's Jon Acuff who I LOVE. It's a really good book about not wasting time doing what you don't enjoy, and instead figuring out who you want to do and how to do it. It's a wonderful book to reflect on life and career.

It's A Wonderful Lie is a book I LOVED in my twenties. I decided to reread it in my thirties to see how true it still rang. The best part was revisiting all the passages I'd tabbed and remembering why I'd picked each one. It was a fun visit back for the most part, and I even found some new passages I really liked. 

The Crown is the final book in the Selection series which I have been obsessed with since I read the first book. This is the sequel to The Heir which I read in a day, and because I needed to know how this ended, I read this in a day (also, I bought it on the day it came out). I had a way I wanted this to end, so part of the reason I breezed through this was I needed the assurance that this is what was going to happen. If you haven't checked out this series, you MUST.

Start is another Jon Acuff. Because I adored Quitter, I had high expectations. It's definitely worth the read as part of the Jon Acuff trilogy, and I found some good "nuggets" in here as I have in his other reads.


Six Years was another read from Harlan Coben. I rarely read mystery/thrillers, but when I do, it's always HC. I'd found this one at a recent random book sale. It was a good read that kept me guessing, but at the same time, it wasn't my favorite HC.

The Borrower wins the award for my favorite book cover of the year. It's a story of a small town librarian (in Hannibal, MO) and a boy who comes in regularly. It's a quirky story, and it was just beautifully written. 

The Weight of Blood is a story of two women (one present and one in the past) and how their stories intersect. It gave me that "Lifetime movie fix" I'd been craving, and the plot kept me guessing.

Escape was alright. Barbara Delinsky has been a reliable author for me, and this read was interesting enough. . . It'd be a good beach read if you need that sort of thing.