Tuesday, April 4, 2017

March Exploreading



I was drawn to this cover when I saw it in the Goodreads newsletter. So, We Are Okay aptly became my Book I Chose Because of the Cover. Honestly, y'all, I thought it was a graphic novel, and I thought I'd like drawing in this vein. Well, it's not. This one was okay all-around. The story was emotional and well done, but if I'm being honest, it just wasn't totally my jam. Still a solid cover though.



For a biography or memoir of someone I don't know much about I decided to check out Joe Buck's Lucky Bastard: My Life, My Dad, and the Things I'm Not Allowed to Say on TV. I have spent a lot of time with Joe Buck via baseball games, but have come to realize I know very little about him. I decided I'd give him a chance and check out his memoir. I went full Joe Buck because I opted for the audiobook when I was traveling to and from St. Louis for work. Y'all, I never thought I'd say this, but this memoir is phenomenal. It was honest and funny and sad and enjoyable and all the emotions. As I drove, I laughed out loud. When he talked about his dad, I cried alone in my car. The book gave me perspective on Joe Buck I didn't know I needed, and I go into this baseball season ready to spend quality time with Joe Buck. Whoa.



For a book with life advice I could utilize, I found There Is No Good Card for This: What To Say and Do When Life Is Scary, Awful, and Unfair to People You Love. I have been a big fan of Emily McDowell's work for awhile, and this was a different spin on it. This book focuses on grief and empathy and what to do (and not do) when shitty things happen to those you love. It was fantastic. I checked it out from the library, but I'm going to buy my own copy, too. The blend of illustrations and really valuable advice was brilliant. Everyone should find their way to this book because everyone will be affected by these topics, and it's my current go-to recommendation for all the people.



For a book of poetry, I chose The Princess Saves Herself In This One. This was fantastic. The poetry was right in my lane - Unrequited love, aspiring to be a fairy tale, the emotions of love, the emotions of loss, etc. etc. It left me wanting to read more from the genre. There are some beautiful pieces in this one. I'd share them here, but you really just need to find your way to the whole collection.



Finally, I squeezed in a book that's set to be a movie this year with Wonder. I have heard about this book for ages, seen it all the places, and have just never read it. Y'all, I was missing out. This book is beautiful. I loved Auggie as a character. I also loved how his story is told both from his perspective and those who are in his life. If you haven't yet found your way to this one, you must.