Tuesday, March 29, 2022

Just Like MotherJust Like Mother by Anne Heltzel
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Y'all, I have to say that horror is definitely not a genre I read ever. That said, this was a wild ride that kept me reading! The story focuses on Maeve and Andrea. Maeve and Andrea were both children in a cult. Maeve escaped, and she's always wondered what happened to Andrea. Then, they find one another again in New York. Andrea has taken on some new ventures in the fertility industry, and Maeve is invited to be part of these. Maeve has some hesitations, and then as she is drawn more into Andrea's world, more things start happening. As a reader, there were lots of moments where I could totally see what was happening, but the characters couldn't which was part of the solid horror experience. This was quite intense, and I'm glad I jumped out of my normal genres for some emotional thrills!

I would offer the content warning that this might not be a good read for anyone who is trying to conceive, struggling to conceive and/or pregnant. I'm a new mom and did okay with the content, but thinking about other stages of my motherhood journey, this would've landed differently with me.

View all my reviews