Tuesday, March 8, 2022

See You YesterdaySee You Yesterday by Rachel Lynn Solomon
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Y'all, this book was an absolute delight! I love a good take on the Groundhog Day trope, and this is one of my all-time faves. What a ride! It's Barrett Bloom's first day of college, and she's excited for a fresh start. High school was a hard road, and she's ready to blaze a new trail. But then, her first day is anything but what she hopes. Everything that might go wrong does, and the fresh start she has hoped for is not working out so well. She goes to bed defeated. Then, she wakes up the next morning, except it's the same first day all over again - and then it is again and again, etc. After a few iterations of being in this loop, she finds out Miles, a guy who was the source of her embarrassment in her physics class on the real first day is stuck, too. What then follows is Barrett and Miles living the same day again and again together. Through this, they get to know one another, decide to take the day they have in different directions, and also try to figure out how they're even going to literally see tomorrow. Barrett and Miles and their dynamic absolutely kept me reading. I loved the evolution of the time they were stuck together. I both wanted to be in the loop together AND I had to know what was going to happen next! While this is a trope that's often done, this was a new spin with new layers, and again, I just adored this story. Thanks to NetGalley and Simon & Schuster for the early look at this May 2022 release.

Also, I just have to say I'm very aware I've aged beyond the young adult part of my life. It did make me chuckle and also have that "Wait, what?" moment when the pop culture Barrett's mom loved in college was the stuff I loved in college. If you're reading this as an "older millennial" just be ready for this aspect of the story. However, I will also say I'll always take a shoutout to Felicity!

View all my reviews