Wednesday, May 11, 2022

Rivals (American Royals, #3)Rivals by Katharine McGee
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

One of my biggest regrets is that I read this as an advanced copy. I was so excited to read this that I devoured it as soon as I received my copy. The problem is I now have so much I want to discuss, but since I got the sneak peek before my friends and book club, I have to keep my thoughts to myself. So, here's the thing, I loved the first book in this series. It was such a unique premise, and it was so interesting to think about America as a monarchy and to learn about this alternate reality through the stories of the women in the book. The third book wasn't so much a love for me, and much of that has to do with why I fell in love with this series. The very title Rivals accentuates the stuff I don't like as much. I don't like the fighting and the gossip and the deceit that is a component part of some character's stories, and I didn't like that it took center stage here. The story picks up where the last left off as Beatrice is learning what it means to be queen, Sam is in her new relationship with Marshall, and the Nina/Daphne/Jefferson love triangle continues, but also has some new dimensions. What I ultimately wanted and didn't get was way more Beatrice. To me, her story is the most powerful and one I love the most. I wanted to see her centered so much more. Again, given the title that just wasn't what this was, but a girl could dream. I should also note this ends on a cliffhanger, so there's likely going to be a fourth read. Even though this one wasn't my jam, I'll be back for that one as I'm too invested to quit now. Thanks to NetGalley for the early look at this upcoming release!

View all my reviews