Friday, February 25, 2022

The Summer PlaceThe Summer Place by Jennifer Weiner
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

As I think about how to review and explain this book, there is one phrase that comes to mind - It's complicated. This is a book about relationships written by an author who is a master at writing about them. With that, the layers of this one are a lot to take in. The book begins with a COVID spin focusing on a young couple, Gabe and Ruby, who has decided to get married after spending lots of quarantine time together. They want to get married at her family's beach house in Cape Cod. The story quickly expands out beyond Gabe and Ruby. There's Ruby dad and stepmom, her stepmom's twin brother, her biological mother, her grandmother, and Gabe's mom. Turns out, each one of these humans has a big secret they're hiding. Choosing to reveal what they're hiding will have big repercussions for the other humans in the story. The story kept me reading as these secrets were shared with the reader, and I wanted to know if/when others were going to find out. This one had some unexpected twists which definitely made me feel some kind of a way as a reader, AND I won't say much about them in my review as that's part of the experience of reading this one. This was quite the ride y'all, and it's definitely worth taking that ride on. Thanks to NetGalley for the early look at this upcoming release!

View all my reviews