Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Hello, Molly!Hello, Molly! by Molly Shannon
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I didn't know much of Molly Shannon's story beyond that she was on SNL until she was recently on the Late Show with Stephen Colbert. After watching her talk about losing her mom and sister at a young age, I knew I wanted to read this memoir. This is a beautiful and honest exploration of Molly's childhood through today. The most powerful parts of her story are her reflections on the long-lasting impacts of grief and how this grief influences her work. This is such an important topic, and I appreciated how she was willing to share her journey, as well as talk about her relationship with her father. Molly was on SNL during an era I loved, so I dug the behind the scenes look at her time on the show. The only thing I wanted more of was her life post-SNL. I know there was some intentionality of not sharing all the details about that, and I was just so loving her story that I just wanted a bit more of that, too!

View all my reviews